Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sounds of Summer

We're pretty sure, now, that Koa and Pia are aware that it's summer break. They are both sleeping in later, and Koa spends most mornings outside catching some rays. Ahhhh...summer!
The call for breakfast still manages to get him up and moving, though. :) As any teacher will tell you, at the end of every school year there are certain items that remain in one's classroom that have gone unclaimed all year long. Despite frequent attempts to return these things (usually lunch boxes, sweatshirts, books, etc), these poor unwanted objects sit forlorn and unloved by the time summer rolls around. This year's special abandoned object that we adopted came through a friend (and fellow teacher) at LJA.
It's a beautiful ukulele. Her name is Lani.
She is Will's new girlfriend. Haupia seems a bit jealous.Will spent several hours researching chords and strumming techniques and is catching on quite quickly. I guess after all those years playing piano, the music in his veins still flows strong! It was so inspiring that, while looking for my old digital tuner for him, I pulled out my flute and started playing. It was insane how quickly all the fingerings and notes came flooding back! I cannot believe I stopped playing almost 10 years ago!
Maybe Will and I can start a new band! We'll call it "Fl-Uke"! Hahahaha.
After some time of goofing around with instruments, we decided to divide and conquer on a couple of projects that had been looming, quite large, on the horizon. PAINTING! ICK!

Here is Will finishing the kitchen wall. YAY! Kitchen is officially PAU!!

And here's my masterpiece...a refurbished bookshelf. Stripped off the old varnish/paint and gave it five coats of polyurethane. Now it can move into the guest room for some much needed help with book storage. Word.

3 comments:

  1. The bookshelf is beautiful! Please stop getting high off fumes you two....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that Lani found a loving home. Rock on, Fl-Uke!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five coats? I'm more than impressed!

    ReplyDelete