Friday, July 3, 2009

Maunawili Falls

After all that hiking on the mainland, we decided it was time to do more hiking here at home. Our first adventure was to Maunawili Falls which is super close to our house. It was a perfect, sunny day for a hike in Jurassic Park. Here is Will disappearing down the path...look out for velociraptors!!
And here I am gingerly making my way across the water...the rocks were soooooo slippery!
A cool boulder in the river.

The trail was super pretty...but we really had to watch our step. The roots kept trying to trip us!

A mini-waterfall on the way.

Here's Will at our THIRD crossing on the way to the falls.
And here I am, thinking I might be able to avoid the slippery rocks if I can just swing, Tarzan-style, across the water.

The soft shushing of bamboo in the breeze and the gentle gurgling of the stream. So very peaceful.
A noticeable traffic-jam at the pool below the falls. People were jumping off the cliffs above into the tiny pool. We assumed they were insane.
We splashed our way along the rocks and managed to snap this shot of the falls themselves. It was super pretty and the water looked really refreshing...until, that is, we saw the sign warning about the bacteria, leptospirosis, found in the water. No swimming for us.
We came home two hours later...super muddy, sweaty, and covered with mosquito bites - but with giant smiles too. It was a tough hike, but such fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment