Monday, December 14, 2009

Keepin' it a Green Christmas

My mom learned how to make these cute bows out of ribbon when she was a little girl. After reading a blog that made them out of old maps, I thought it'd be super fun to try my hand at them...but instead of ribbon or maps, I used ads from old magazines we were going to recycle anyways. (This is totally in keeping with my "handmade holidays" theme this year.)
Here are three I made while avoiding grading today (red = ad for laughing cow cheese, purple = yogurt ad, blue = women's razor ad). Nothing could be simpler to make! Just find a nice ad with not too much writing and pretty colors. (I chose this Jenny-O Turkey ad). Then gather together a pair of scissors, a ruler, some tape and/or a stapler and a pencil.

On the back side of the ad, measure out 3/4" wide strips and cut (you'll need nine strips total). I marked mine with a pencil...kinda hard to see in the pic, sorry. Once you have your nine strips, leave three the original length (on the left), cut one inch off of the next three, two inches off of two more strips, then cut the last one down to 3.5".
Next, just twist them into this 'infinity' shape and secure with either tape or a well-placed staple. It's a bit hard to tell, but the inside pink and random words on the back side of the ad won't show once you assemble the entire bow - promise.
Take that smallest strip and make it into a little circle loop.
Layer and evenly space out the three largest loops, then layer on the three smaller ones. Once they're all stacked the way you want 'em, give 'em a good staple through all layers (left). Then take your two smallest loops and layer them to make an 'x'. Take that tiny circle and place it smack dab in the middle, on top of the x (right).
Then all you have to do is put the small part on top of the big part and staple (or tape) all the layers together! Voila!
Not particularly original or "professional looking", but a fun activity to help reuse old magazines and have a green holiday season!
Never mind the added bonus of helping a very tired English teacher avoid grading fifty-five, 8-page research papers and 90 final exams. Hooray for procrastination and crafts!

3 comments:

  1. You make it sound easy. I hesitated after reading the word "scissors" since I just cut my finger peeling carrots:)!! You are an artist yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are so crafty, why did I miss that gen pool, lol. Wishing you the very best Christmas ever in such a woderful place! Your FC, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the hell is your problem, you guys? Seriously, are you TRYING to make the rest of us look artistically useless and inadequate? I'm gonna go fold a piece of paper in half right now...imperfectly.

    ReplyDelete