Monday, March 22, 2010

Hawaii Loa Ridge Hike

Will and I really pushed ourselves and decided to hike to the top of the Ko'olau mountains this morning at 8am. What? Are we crazy? YES. Apparently, we are.
After driving through the SUPER rich neighborhood of Hawaii Loa (you have to show Hawaii ID to the guard at the gate - it's just that fancy), we made our way to the beginning of the hike. Doesn't our final destination at the top of the Ko'olau ridge look waaaaaay far away? It is.
Here's Will pointing to the spot where we heard the wild boar. Hunters come through the area regularly...so I always had my eye out for a good tree to climb, just in case.
A quick glance back toward the ocean.
Super pretty plants along the way.
Here's Will at the top! By the time we got up there, the clouds had pushed in (go figure there would be clouds at 1700ft. elevation?) and we couldn't really enjoy the view of the windward side.
But boy oh boy did we enjoy the cool cloud we were sitting in. Such a relief from the heat of the trail below.
Here I am, sitting as far away from the edge of the sheer cliff as humanly possible. Still a little scared of heights...but getting better, I swear!
On the way back down, I finally was able to make an effort to stop the shaking and take some pics. Here's our pretty path lined with moss.
More of the crazy path. Check out the rope! We used it (and needed it) both up and down the cliffs.
Will...using the rope to rappel down the hill.
And me...a bit more tentative.
Lovin'/hatin' the steps.
Soooo many stairs!!
Hi flutterby...oh how pretty you are.
Yes, Will. It's another crazy ascent.
Grab the perfectly placed rope and blaze ahead!
Climbing to the top of yet another ridge in his slippers (a.k.a. flip-flops). Crazy boy.
Strawberry-guava forest. Soooo pretty and soooo stinky (end of the season rotting fruit on the forest floor).
Last of the season strawberry-guava nestled in the moss.
We made it back to the car in one piece; a bit muddy and sore, but in one piece. This hike is certainly not for the weak of heart, but if you're up for it, come on out and we'll hike it with you!!
Here's a silly video that Will shot with his iPhone. The birds were sooooo loud and happy in the mist. Hope you can hear it! Now for some Tylenol and a good night's sleep. :)

3 comments:

  1. I'll pass on this hike...but some of the others look good!

    Pop

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are sure adventurous! We would like to hike with you but this one looks super hard. Rappelling in flipflops? I'll have to use sturdier shoes than that. Yes, we could hear the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you guys did that hike!! And I can't believe Will was wearing flip flops!! The pics look amazing, as always. Miss you guys!!

    ReplyDelete